- Hinge Length – The length of the leaves measured parallel to the pin
- Open Width/Hinge Width – Overall dimension measured perpendicular to the pin
- Leaf – The portion of a hinge extending from the knuckle which revolves around a pin
- Leaf Width – Measured from the center of the pin to the outer edge of the leaf
- Knuckle – The circular part of a hinge through which a pin is passed
- Pin – Diameter of rod, which runs parallel to the length of the image.
- Knuckle Length – Individual knuckle measured parallel to the pin
- End Play – The amount of axial movement between the leaves
- Paint Clearance – The space dimension from the knuckle edge to the adjacent leaf edge
- Pitch – The dimension from one point on a knuckle to the same point on an adjacent knuckle on the same leaf
Reference the visual schematic to the right.
If you have any questions about hinge terms, contact us anytime and we’ll connect you with one of our experts.